Ok, so I was listening to Yahoo! Radio this morning on the "Classical Crossover" station which plays classical and some Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, etc.

A song came on that sounded eerily familiar. I say "eerily" because it was a Gregorian Chant song. It took me a second and then I realized what it was..."Nothing Else Matters." That's right, "Nothing Else Matters" by, ahem...Metallica. For the conservative folk who may read this blog (parents), I am on the record as saying that I am not a Metallica fan (although I MAY have heard a few of their songs and let them play all the way through, merely to know what OTHER people were filling their heads with). With that being said, I am however a fan of Gregorian Chant. I'm not totally sure if they're spiritually based as a normal chanting monk would be but I do know they are definitely in the record selling business.



But wow, how ironic is it that Gregorian Chant would re-do a Metallica song?! I really liked it actually. I guess there have been several other similar cases in history of ironic re-makes by a band. Here's another example off the top of my head:

-- "God Gave Rock n' Roll to You" -- originally done by KISS, then re-made by Christian band Petra (although they changed some words)



I know there are several others but i'm drawing a blank.




Well now to the evidence. Here's Metallica for you (in case you've never seen them):








Nice huh?


Well here is a video of the Gregorian Chant version of "Nothing Else Matters."
** By the way, the video is kind of weird and may scare small children, pets OR adults afraid of monks in bright robes**




2 comments

  1. Anonymous on March 26, 2009 at 3:06 PM

    Actually, "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" was originally a Petra song done in 1984 that KISS remade in 1992. Trust me, I was a huge Petra fan in the early 80's.

     
  2. Anonymous on March 26, 2009 at 4:21 PM

    Touche "Anonymous" commentor. It seems you are partly correct. I believe the first version was done by Argent (who cares right?) and then by Petra. I too am a big Petra fan and sorry I missed that one...I just quickly Googled it when I wrote it.

     


Post a Comment