Actually, catching me would NOT be hard. One of the absolute best cardio workouts is to have a group of 20 or so people play "tag." Yeah, just like at recess. No, I'm kidding that would be stupid and you would stand around way too long waiting to get tagged or "unfrozen." Seriously, though one of the best ways to get in shape is by running. There, I said it. Oh how I hate you, running... Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I guess most people hate running as much as I do, which is why people try to come up with every machine or gadget imaginable to take the place of running. I've tried to avoid the whole running to get in shape thing often over the last 28 years, but when I actually do run on a consistent basis is about the only time I ever see real results. Other forms of cardio are indeed helpful and beneficial but they'll most likely only help you shed a few pounds. In my opinion, nothing helps get you toned like running. Okay, now that's out of the way I'll share some information on running.

By the way, have you ever seen anyone with a great body only doing the ellyptical or stationary bike?? Nope. They ALL run. It's just part of the sad truth.

Don't get me wrong, alot of people love to run. I'm just not one of them. However, it does get a little easier to keep pushing yourself once you start getting in better shape. The truth though, is that it should never really be easy because it would mean you're not really pushing yourself or getting better. The same goes for the weightroom, but we'll get to that later. Cardio/running should be the core of your workouts.

RUNNING
Distance Vs. Speed
I think there is a common misunderstanding out there (especially among some girls I know) that distance is the way to go, to really get in shape. Granted, running at all will help you get in shape and distance is definitely a way to do that. BUT, the two training methods for distance and speed do two totally different things to your body. Look at the difference between sprinters' bodies and marathoners' bodies, then ask yourself "which is my goal?" The two different styles of athletes specifically train their bodies to do their one task. I, on the other hand, want to be somewhere in the middle. I'll give you some resources so you can understand the differences between the two styles.


Here's what it boils down to. Shorter distances (probably 3 miles or less) is a good way for an average person to train. The way you train for 3 miles will include shorter speed training, agility exercises, and only about 1 long run a week. Distance running however, focuses on increases in distance while also working on time. Since I hate running and want to keep some muscle definition (did I just make fun of distance runners? sorry!), I'm going to go with the shorter stuff!

A couple months ago, I set a goal to run 3 miles in a certain amount of time. When I first started it was AWFUL! Seriously, it was not good. I ran probably 5 days a week and in about a month and a half I accomplished my initial goal. (My first timed 3 miles, which was like 3 weeks after I first started running was about 4 minutes from my goal.) After the initial torture (DON'T GIVE UP) the times started falling faster and faster.

Tips: 1.) Drink LOTS of water throughout the day, every day. Don't gorge before a run or after a run. 2.) Wear your watch and focus on results and truly getting better each week 3.) Wear proper attire 4.) Practice proper form and technique all the time. 5.) Try to keep your eyes focused ahead, not down -- this ones hard for me especially when the breathing starts getting labored 6.) Try to mimic/model good runners' form. Good posture, arm movement, etc. 7.) Run outside as much as you can. This keeps it from getting too boring. Change up the course every now and then too. Find a place where you can measure the distance and dominate it! 8.) Stretch, and stretch correctly...ahem, my wife Jamie... 9.) Most importantly... DON'T GIVE UP!

Here's what i've been doing for the last few months (take it slower or do less if you're a beginner and work up -- If you're advanced, then you're probably doing your own workout anyway):

  • day 1 -- short speed work -- jog 1/2 mile, 2 or 3 agility drills (i.e. High knees, side shuffles, run backwards, etc. video posted below), 4 or 5 hill sprints (or regular sprints if no hill)
  • day 2 -- run 1 mile @ maximum effort (sprinting to the end!) -- IMMEDIATELY going in to very light jog to catch breath for 1 mile cool down (It's important to not completely stop after a run - your muscles need a cool down not a freeze up)
  • day 3 -- run 2 miles at 70% (timed) with a half mile very light jog/fast walk cool down
  • day 4 -- long run (i'm training for 3 miles, so I may run 3 to 5miles with a 1/2 mile jog cool down)
  • You don't have to do these days/runs consecutively, especially if you're sore. Change it up a bit every week and skip a day in the middle of the week and run once on the weekend sometimes. Don't push yourself too hard to the point of injury. The important thing is to get in the habit of pushing yourself at the end of every run (even the lighter jog days).

There are a whole bunch of good videos on running on Youtube. I'll put one here and you can research some more if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo_IHmqxfEs (side shuffles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVB7FUoobxE (high knees -- helps with form)



Excellent series here on running. Goes over form and styles in this one and stretching, breathing, and more in the others...



Hope all of this helps! I'm sure I left something out like "consult a physician before an physical activity" and "I am not responsible for any injuries associated with your workouts."
Here's one more little song for you...(chorus is cool but the verses not so much)
DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!
Cobra Kai!

0 comments



Post a Comment